You may be retired from your career in education, but we know that many of you are still living the good fight for public schools. Public education and educators face challenges that require the resolve and support of its members -- all of its members, both active and retired. NEA needs your support, your wisdom, and your leadership to forge a path forward. Joining Missouri NEA-Retired gives you the opportunity to remain engaged on important issues facing students, education, and educators.
MNEA-RETIRED FALL Luncheon
Friday, Nov. 17, 2023
Registration Deadline: Nov. 5
Silent Auction to benefit CHEER.
Registration Deadline: Nov. 5
Location: Maggiano's Little Italy
2 The Blvd Saint Louis, Richmond Heights, MO 63117
Time: 11:30 a.m., lunch served at noon
Cost: $40.00 per person
Join MNEA-Retired for the annual Fall Luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Friday, November 17 at Maggiano's Little Italy. Please bring 1-2 items to donate for the silent auction benefiting the CHEER Fund.
If you have any questions, please contact Olivia Compton at (417) 569-1402 or by email at email@example.com.
Maggiano's will serve up a family-style, three-course lunch feast, complete with freshly baked Ciabatta rolls, regular and decaffeinated coffee, hot tea, iced tea, and assorted sodas.
FAMILY STYLE LUNCH
- FIRST COURSE includes stuffed mushrooms, balsamic tomato bruschetta, and Italian tossed salad
- SECOND COURSE includes Taylor Street baked ziti and chicken piccata
- THIRD COURSE includes New York-style cheesecake and tiramisu
Join the Organization Working for You
For a one-time lifetime subscription fee of $500 or $75 annually, MNEA-Retired membership provides:
- $4 million liability-protection policy when substituting in the public schools (up to 550 hours a year).
- Membership in a powerful, active, retiree organization that understands the value of public education.
- A subscription to the informative, high-quality quarterly NEA Today for NEA-Retired Members, Something Better, and pre-retirement planning information to give you a head start on enjoying a financially secure retirement.
- Leadership opportunities including voting and holding office in your retired organization and participation in literacy, mentoring, early career educator, and lobbying projects.
- Continuing membership keeps you eligible for NEA Member Benefits:
- Liability Insurance
- MNEA Member Benefits
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Medicare Supplemental Insurance
- Financial Planning & Credit programs
- Two free 30-minute legal consultations per year for personal matters
- Discounts on Restaurants, Travel & Entertainment
To know more about the duties of officers, dues, and delegates, reference the MNEA-Retired Bylaws.
Meetings & Activities
- Attend the MNEA-R Annual Meeting in April
- Attend the MNEA-R Annual Reception in November
- Attend regional meetings
- Become a member of MNEA-R regional groups
- Become an Education Advocate
- Run for MNEA-Retired position or office
Awards & Grants
As a member of MNEA-Retired, there are a variety of publications and mailing lists that you may be interested in, all of which are free to members.
Subscribe to the electronic mailing list to receive the following by email:
MNEA-Retired Focus newsletter (Click to see past issues)
News and Informational Alerts
- An MNEA calendar will help you stay in the know with important dates and deadlines. If you would like to receive an MNEA pocket calendar, order your free calendar today.
Order your pocket calendar today (online) >>
Print and mail in your calendar request >>
View other MNEA publications at mnea.org/publications.
MNEA-Retired members will also be subscribed to the NEA-Retired magazine.
MNEA Executive Director / Retired Staff Liason: Dr. Patrick Layden
(573) 634-3202 | Patrick.Layden@mnea.org
MNEA-R and Regional Administrative Assistant: Olivia Compton
(417) 569-1402 | Olivia.Compton@mnea.org
The MNEA-R Executive Council, elected at the annual meeting, plans the programs for MNEA-R and is the liaison between MNEA and NEA.
Vice President: Linda Innes
Past-President: Carol Weatherford
Secretary/Treasurer: Joyce Bluett
Historian: Janet Leachman
Budget Chair: JoWanda Bozeman
Communications: Holly Garrett
At-Large Committee Members
Beth Ann Roland
State and National Representation
Retired MNEA-R members serve as elected state and national representatives to MNEA and NEA Representative Assemblies and serve on the MNEA and NEA Boards of Directors.
Beth Ann Roland currently represents MNEA-R members on the MNEA Board of Directors.
Please check the NEA-Retired page for the national leadership, including the executive officers and board of directors.
Upcoming Retired Events
CHEER Fund Helps Educators
Caring Help for Education Endeavors by Retirees was formed by MNEA-Retired to be a public benefit by enhancing the learning conditions of Missouri's children. CHEER provides opportunities for MNEA-Retired members to reach out to public school district employees, particularly early career educators, and provide financial and material resources such as, but not limited to the following:
- Providing needed school supplies for classrooms or teachers.
- Enhancing workspaces for teachers and school personnel.
- Funding literacy projects.
- Funding teacher training opportunities.
- Promoting volunteerism.
- Participating in programs that relieve poverty.
- Promoting school readiness.
CHEER Fund Request application must be received by Feb. 1 each year. The MNEA-Retired President or designee(s) will review applications before funds are awarded. If applications are approved, applicants and sponsors will be notified around March 15 and funds will be awarded soon after.
Contributions to the CHEER Fund are tax-deductible as a charitable contribution. You can choose to contribute by mailing in a check or online using your debit or credit card. Through the online donation form, you have the option of limiting your contribution to a one-time donation or recurring donation.