How to Become a Member
Active education employees
(Teachers, Education Support & Higher Education Professionals)
MNEA membership is open to all education employees who work in K-12 public education, and in public or private higher education institutions.
The dues for active education employees in Missouri are based on the average teacher salary in the district where you work; dues for higher education members are based on the Missouri average teacher salary. New education employees are eligible for reduced dues, as are all new members in certain school districts.
Numerous payment options make MNEA dues easy to pay. You can pay by payroll deduction in many districts, by monthly deductions from your checking account or by credit card (the credit card option is available by telephone only).
To determine the exact amount of your dues and/or to join Missouri NEA, contact your local association, your MNEA regional office or MNEA headquarters at 1-800-392-0236. Sorry we do not have the option to join online at this time for new members. You may also choose to do one of the following to expedite your enrollment.
- Complete, print and mail the membership form (pdf) to the MNEA regional office that serves your area; or
- Complete the membership inquiry online and an MNEA representative will contact you.
Already an MNEA member?
Renew your membership by signing up for EZ pay online. EZ Pay allows you to deduct membership dues from your bank account instead of your paycheck. You will need your NEA ID number. Don't have your NEA ID number handy? There are three ways to get it.
- Find it on the address label of your Something Better or NEA Today magazine.
- Log in MNEA.org and follow the EZ Pay button. Your NEA ID number will automatically fill-in.
- Call the MNEA office in your area.
Retired from education
Former teachers and other education employees who have retired from active education employment are encouraged to join MNEA as Retired members to stay connected and maintain benefits. Active members can join MNEA-Retired as pre-retired lifetime members at any time during their career. Upon retirement, your lifetime retired membership will be activated.
Retired membership allows you to:
- Stay informed and proactive on MNEA and NEA political and legislative efforts to protect your retirement benefits (PSRS/PEERS and social security) and other retired issues.
- Continue your employment liability insurance coverage if you decide to substitute at school (up to 550 hours).
- Stay connected with fellow NEA colleagues and programs across the state and nation.
- Receive two 30-minute sessions and a 30 percent discount on legal assistance on personal issues such as wills and estate planning, real estate, consumer protection, domestic relations and traffic violations.
- Access group discounts and valuable benefits on insurance (auto, home, life, dental, long-term care and Medicare supplements), loans, credit cards, travel and hotels, savings and investments, wireless phone plans, local and nationwide dining and shopping opportunities, and on a host of everyday purchases and services!
To join MNEA-Retired, contact Mary Martin at (800) 888-6632 or join online as an MNEA-Retired Life member with a one-time payment using your debit/credit card. All retired MNEA members--whether they initially joined as Pre-Retired Life, Retired Life or Retired Annual members--are members of MNEA-Retired and NEA-Retired. If you choose not to join online, you may complete the MNEA-R membership form (pdf) and mail it with payment to Missouri NEA, Attn: Pam Koetting, 1810 E Elm Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101.
More information about MNEA-Retired.
College student majoring in education
Students in Missouri community colleges, colleges and universities who are studying to be teachers are eligible to join Missouri NEA at a reduced student rate. MNEA-Student dues are just $17 annually, and if you join MNEA after graduation, you are eligible for a $20 rebate for every year you were a MNEA-Student member. To join MNEA as a student member, contact your MNEA Student chapter on campus, contact Janet Galbreath at 1-800-392-0236, or join online.
More information about the MNEA student program.